Sign in / Join
2017-02-14_1423

Twitter blocks Amber Harrison tweets

Twitter has blocked around 20 tweets by Amber Harrison to users in Australia, following yesterday’s court injunction.

Lawyers for both parties met in court today and agreed to extend the injunction until next Tuesday.

The injunction forbids the former Seven employee from disclosing any confidential information belonging to Seven, including “text messages, email communications, photographs and all other forms of electronic and physical documents”.

Yesterday, Justice McDougall also barred her from “either directly or indirectly, giving any interviews to any medium or media, or from making, authorising or procuring any public statement, publication, off the record comment, background information, publications, press releases, press conferences, or from participating in social media” about matters including Seven, her departure from the company and her relationship with CEO Tim Worner.

Yesterday Harrison posted two personal text messages between her and Worner, one of which included his mobile number. While Twitter has blocked select posts, they are still visible outside Australia.

But SWM board member Jeff Kennett, who engaged with Harrison on Twitter yesterday, has now been accused of baiting her.

Shareholder activist Stephen Mayne said, “The fact he was baiting her on Twitter five hours after the injunction was unprecedented.

“Clearly individual Seven directors should not be publicly commenting on this matter at all,” he told the AFR.

The drama comes ahead of Seven West Media’s interim results tomorrow which Seven has noted is “business as usual.”

There is further speculation Harrison will attend next week’s court date and speak to media outside.

In other developments, Shane Wescott, of Patron Legal, vowed to fight the injunction.

“We’re facing a very well resourced, extremely litigious opponent who are certainly flexing their muscle,” he told The Australian.

“We’re used to dealing with aggressive opponents.”

Despite the affair making news in December it is still causing headaches and headlines for Seven in February.

In separate opinion articles in the AFR, Leanne Faraday-Brash an organisational psychologist and principal of Brash Consulting, writes, “If we are to judge Ms Harrison for seeking compensation in the aftermath of a consensual relationship and its associated consequences (including the risk she is rendered virtually unemployable henceforth), then we should judge the CEO and the board, as the custodians of culture in equal measure.”

Clementine Ford in the SMH writes, “Seven West’s temporary injunction may silence Harrison for now, but I hope we haven’t heard the last from her. It isn’t fair that women are made to walk while men are coddled and protected. And it isn’t right that the majority of the public’s enthusiasm for shaming is heaped on them, either. Harrison might be experiencing both of those things right now, but she isn’t going down without a fight. Seven West would do well to heed that.”

Yesterday Seven’s statement on its injunction noted, “It became clear late last week that Ms Harrison is now releasing or divulging commercial in confidence emails and other documents that she has no right to hold, access or release.”

Parties return to court next Tuesday.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald, Australian Financial Review, The Australian

Leave a reply