ABOUT THE SHOW
Jake Doyle and his father Malachy run a private investigations agency in St. John's, Newfoundland.
The show stars Allan Hawco as private investigator and former police officer Jake Doyle and Seán McGinley as his father, Malachy Doyle. They partner as private investigators with Rose Doyle, Malachy's second wife, played by Lynda Boyd, in St. John's. Krystin Pellerin stars as Constable Leslie Bennett, with Mark O'Brien as Desmond "Des" Courtney, who works with the Doyles, and Marthe Bernard as Katrina, "Tinny" Doyle, Jake's niece and Malachy's granddaughter. Their cases involve them in all sorts of dealings – not all of them on the right side of the law.
- Jake Doyle – Jake is a 30-year-old man living with his father Malachy because his ex-wife Nikki kicked him out. A former cop, he works as a private investigator with his father, Mal, and his father’s wife, Rose. He is over-protective of his 16-year-old niece, Tinny. He is the second son and youngest child of Mal Doyle and his late wife Emily Ann. He drives a 1968 Pontiac GTO and wears a brown leather jacket, both of which figure prominently and iconically throughout the series. After years of pursuit, in Season Four he and Leslie Bennett become a couple. He also discovers in Season Five that he has a sixteen-year-old daughter, Sloan.
- Leslie Bennett – Leslie is an Inspector in the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary who is friends/lovers with Jake and gives him information to help with his cases. Leslie is Jake's source of distraction from his cases and personal life. She is a sharp shooter, very intelligent and a great match for Jake. She and Jake have real feelings for each other, but seem to show them the wrong way, making their relationship complicated but very interesting. From season four onwards their relationship has been growing stronger, until a secret from her past resurfaces.
- Malachy Doyle – Malachy, known as Mal or Skipper and Poppy, is a private investigator with his son, Jake in their business "Doyle and Doyle." He is 56 and has 3 “grown” children, Christian, Kathleen and Jake, and one granddaughter Tinny who is living with him while her mother (Kathleen Doyle) is away working in Alberta. His wife Rose lives with him, his granddaughter, and his youngest son Jake. He pokes fun at Jake's somewhat 'unsuccessful' relationships with women. He has since discovered he has a second granddaughter.
- Rose Miller – Rose is Mal's wife, stepmother to Jake, Christian, and Kathleen, and step-grandmother to Tinny and Sloan. She works as the office manager/secretary for Doyle and Doyle. She seems to have a love/hate relationship with her husband’s granddaughter Tinny and his son Jake, which has evolved over the series into motherly affection. Rose's criminal ex-husband, Martin Poole, keeps turning up.
- Nikki Renholds – Nikki is Jake's ex-wife. Nikki is a physician at a St. John's hospital. Nikki helped out with different cases in the first few episodes. She has since remarried, moved away, and has a son.
- Katrina 'Tinny' Doyle – Tinny is the daughter of Kathleen Doyle. She lives with her grandfather, Mal or Poppy as she calls him, Uncle Jake and grandfather’s wife, Rose. She is 16 and can’t stand her grandfather and uncle's over-protective nature. She has a love/hate relationship with her grandfather's girlfriend, Rose and one of the employees and main characters, Des Courtney. Tinny has since become a Constable with the Constabulary, and has begun dating Des.
- Des Courtney – Des is the fashion-challenged and delinquent graffiti artist who tags the town and Jake’s beloved Pontiac GTO until Jake brings him to heel – and into the employ of Doyle and Doyle Investigations. He is 19 and has a crush on Tinny, leading Jake to dislike him. His real name is Desmond Redmond, and he is the son of the infamous, yet equally as dopey, Jody Redmond. Not wanting to be associated with his father, Des conceals his identity. He has grown from a delinquent to a valued member of Doyle & Doyle, specializing in the technological side of investigations. After a failed relationship with a medical student and surviving getting shot, he has begun dating Tinny.
- Walter McLean – Walter has been Jake's best friend since kindergarten and his wing-man that used to be right behind Jake in a fight. Walter was Jake's lawyer in his divorce from his wife Nikki. Walter appears only sporadically. In season three he becomes romantically involved with Tinny's mother Kathleen. The status of their relationship is unknown, but presumed to be over.
- Allison Jenkins – Allison is the crown attorney and has all the things that turn Jake's head. What was once strictly professional turned into a romantic relationship, which ended when she realized Jake's feelings for Leslie were stronger than his feelings for her. She appeared briefly in season four.
- Sloan Daniels - Jake's sixteen-year-old daughter that he had with high school flame Ellen Daniels. Sloan spent her time in group homes before meeting the Doyles and finding out Jake is her long-lost father. She is mischievous at best, and has a tendency to err on the wrong side of the law.
- Kevin Crocker - Jake's former partner on the force, and Tinny's biological father. Crocker was kicked off of the force for the presumed murder of a call girl, and has been on the run ever since. In Season Four he discovers that he is Tinny's father, much to Jake's initial dismay. The character name is evocative of the character name, Bobby Crocker, and the actor who played him, Kevin Dobson, in the classic television series Kojak (1973–78), starring Telly Savalas.