ABOUT THE SHOW
Knight Rider is an American television series that originally ran from September 26, 1982, to August 8, 1986 on NBC.
Self-made billionaire Wilton Knight rescues police Detective Lieutenant Michael Arthur Long after a near fatal shot to the face, giving him a new identity (via plastic surgery) and a new name: Michael Knight. Wilton selects Michael to be the primary field agent in the pilot program of his public justice organization, the Foundation for Law and Government (FLAG). The other half of this pilot program is the Knight Industries Two Thousand (KITT), a heavily modified Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with numerous features including an extremely durable shell and frame, controlled by a computer with artificial intelligence. Michael and KITT are brought in during situations where "direct action might provide the only feasible solution".
Heading FLAG is Devon Miles, who provides Michael with directives and guidance. Dr. Bonnie Barstow is the chief engineer in charge of KITT's care, as well as technical assistant to Devon (April Curtis fills this role in Season 2).
[button color="black" size="small" link="http://www.nbc.com/classic-tv/knight-rider-classic/video" target="blank" ]Watch More Episodes![/button]
Cast and Characters
- David Hasselhoff as Michael Knight (born Michael Arthur Long), an undercover Las Vegas police detective who, while on a case, is shot in the face and nearly killed. Wilton Knight, founder of Knight Industries and creator of FLAG, directs his doctors to save Long's life and reconstruct his face. With his new identity, "Michael Knight", Long is provided with high tech crime-fighting equipment, most notably the car named KITT.
- William Daniels as the voice of KITT, for Knight Industries Two Thousand, the autonomous, artificially intelligent car, with whom Michael Knight is partnered. Daniels, who simultaneously starred on St. Elsewhere, requested to not be credited for his role as KITT's voice.
- Edward Mulhare as Devon Miles, the leader of FLAG, who appeared in nearly every episode to provide mission details to Knight and KITT. He was also the spokesman for FLAG whenever it came under scrutiny.
- Patricia McPherson as Dr. Bonnie Barstow (Seasons 1, 3-4), KITT's chief technician and romantic tension for Michael. The character was dropped after the first season, but due to strong fan reaction and lobbying by Hasselhoff and Mulhare, she was returned for the third season and remained through the end of the series.
- Rebecca Holden as April Curtis (Season 2), chief technician for KITT. The character was written out when Patricia McPherson returned. The connection between the two was never established in any installments.
- Peter Parros as Reginald Cornelius III aka RC3 (Season 4), driver of the FLAG mobile unit and occasional sideman for Michael and KITT.
- Richard Basehart as Wilton Knight, the creator of FLAG, who dies in the pilot episode. Basehart's voice, however, is heard throughout the series, narrating over the intro and outro.
- David Hasselhoff as Garth Knight, Wilton's psychopathic son, on whose face Michael's new face was modeled. He only appeared twice in Season 2, in the installments "Goliath" and "Goliath Returns", both of which were two-hour installments. He had a strong hatred for Michael and saw him as an insult to his existence. He drove a heavily armored truck named Goliath.